Darjeeling Campus Museum
Sir J. C. Bose and Lady Abala Bose were frequent visitors to Darjeeling. Both were present at Roy Villa in Darjeeling during the last days of Sister Nivedita in 1911. Sir J. C. Bose’s visits to the Hills were not only for recreation and holiday, but also for research. He had set up a lab at Roy Villa. Later, he moved his lab to Glen Inn under the patronage of Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das. However, it was not until 1917 that Sir J. C. Bose bought a house in Darjeeling from the banker Mr. Jetmal Bhojraj. The house had an annexe structure that was used by an English woman (most likely Hena Madam) as a school. A plot of land approximately 3 acres was also bought across the road where research on plants continued. The annex structure was reconstructed according to a plan by Rabindranath Tagore who named the building as Haimavati (snow capped mountain). It was primarily used for housing of research scholars. The main building was also renamed as Mayabati by Tagore as well; it became the residence of Sir J. C. Bose and Dr. D. M. Bose later. Sir. J. C. Bose’s residence was frequented by luminaries like Rabindranath Tagore, Sir Nilratan Sircar and Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das, who often discussed various matters over a cup of tea in a small room adjoining Sir. J. C. Bose’s study, joined by Lady Abala Bose and Sir. J. C. Bose.
Around 1977, it was decided to build a Museum around the residence of Sir J. C. Bose, primarily as an initiative of Dr. Sunanda Bose, Dr. D. M. Bose’s son. Currently the ground floor of the Museum houses displays depicting the life and work of Sir J. C. Bose and a few replicas of instruments of the scientist. It has facilities to serve as a small meeting room. The first floor is the residence of Sir J. C. Bose comprising of living room, guest room, bedroom and study. The furnishings are those used by Sir J. C. Bose. A special couch, custom made for Rabindranath Tagore, and a hat and a walking stick of Sir J. C. Bose are prized items. Adjoining the living quarters of Sir J. C. Bose is the kitchen cum dining room. In addition to containing some original cutleries, it is adorned with rare fresco and paintings. The main wooden gate to the kitchen was specially made and is adorned with symbols and motifs that are integral part of Bose Institute’s architectural style (Rajabazar Main Campus).
The Museum is open to the public on all working days (10-5). There is no entrance fee. Photography not allowed inside the museum.