PhD: Indian Institute of Science, Bagalore (1989)
We are interested in the study of gene regulation in prokaryotes
and protein-DNA interactions. Specifically, our group works in the
- Mechanism of transcription activation by the cyclic AMP receptor
protein (CRP) in several operons of E. coli
- Study of a putative third promoter in the promoter upstream
region of the gal operon of E. coli
- Investigations on the three dimensional structure of the CII
protein of coliphage lambda and understanding the structural details
of the lysis-lysogeny switch. Cloning, expression and purification
of proteins derived from bacterial sources, Electrophoretic mobility
shift assays (EMSA), footprinting and other common protein chemistrytechniques
are routinely done in our laboratory. We have also initiated X-ray
crystallographic studies in collaboration with Dr. Pinak Chakrabarti
of the department of Biochemistry, and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
in collaboration of Dr. Siddhartha Roy of the department of Biophysics.
In addition, recently we have started characterisation of an alkaline
protease from an alkalophilic Bacillus isolate, and its
potential potential industrial applications. We are also collaborating
with Dr. Swati Gupta Bhattacharyya of the department of Botany,
in a project involving the prodution of recombinant vaccines for
hypersensitivity to Parthenium.
Name of group members
- Dr. C. Ganesh Kumar
- Mr. Ajit Bikram Datta
- Ms. Rima Chattopadhyay
- Mr. Jayanta Mukhopadhyay (Nov 1999, 5y 3m) and Ms. Runa Sur
(Jan 2000, 4y 11m) have submitted their theses and are awaiting
award of PhD degree.
Important publications (six)
To see the list of full publications, click
- Jayanta Mukhopadhyay, Runa Sur and Pradeep Parrack (1999).
Functional roles of the two cyclic AMP-dependent forms of CRP
(cyclic AMP Receptor Protein) from Escherichia coli. FEBS
Lett. 453, 215-218.
- H. E. Choy, S.W. Park, T. Aki, P. Parrack, N. Fujita, A. Ishihama
and S. Adhya (1995). Repression and activation of transcription
by Gal and Lac repressors: involvement of alpha subunit of RNA
polymerase. EMBO J. 14, 4523-4529.
- Hyon Choy, S.-W. Park, P. Parrack and S. Adhya (1995). Transcription
Regulation by Inflexibility of DNA in a Looped Complex. Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92, 7327-7331.
- Krishnendu Mukhopadhyay, Pradip K. Parrack and B. Bhattacharyya
(1990) The Carboxy Terminus of the Alpha Subunit of Tubulin Regulates
its Interaction with Colchicine. Biochemistry 29, 6845-6850.
- Pradipkumar Parrack, Dipak Dasgupta, Jayalekshmy Ayyer and V.
Sasisekharan (1987). Interaction of synthetic analogs of distamycin
with DNA : Role of the conjugated N-methylpyrrole system in specificity
of binding. FEBS Lett. 212, 297-301.
- Runa Sur, Dipanwita Debnath, Jayanta Mukhopadhyay and Pradeep
Parrack (2001) A Novel RNA Polymerase Binding Site Upstream of
the Galactose Promoter in Escherichia coli Exhibits Promoter-like
Activity. Eur. J. Biochem. 268, 2344-2350.
Phone: (+91)(-33) 441-1400 (R)