Senior Lecturer, Plant Molecular & Cellular Genetics
PhD: University of Calcutta (Botany - 1981).
Research interest and current activities
- Expression of agronomically important genes in crop plants.
- Identification, characterisation and purification of few insecticidal
Lectins and other proteins from plant sources.
- Isolation and cloning of effective insecticidal lectin and other
protein coding gene(s) from respective plant genome(s).
- Establishment of efficient plant regeneration and transformation
protocol for mustard, chickpea and pigeonpea.
- Introgression of insecticidal protein coding genes into above
Name of group members
- Construction of a number of vectors with different T-DNA border
elements for a better understanding of mechanism of T-DNA integration
into host plant.
- Construction of chimeric Bt , protease inhibitor gene (s) and
other agronomically important gene(s) constructs for their expression
in important crops namely, rice and mustard for increased productivity.
Important publications (eleven)
- Ms. Krishna Ray
- Dr. Biswajit Das (jointly with Prof. Lahiri Majumder)
- Mr. Santanu Bandyopadhyay
- Mr. Indrajit Datta
- Mr. Pralay Majumder
- Isolation of yeast ascospores free of vegetative cell contamination.
A. Chatterjee, S.Ghosh, S. Das & S.K. Sen. J. General Microbiology
128 : 2725-2278 (1982).
- Transposon induced mutagenesis of Ri plasmids of Agrobacterium
rhizogenes and alteration of hairy root syndrome of the transformed
plant tissue. S. Das, C. Bhowmik & S.K. Sen. Ind. J. Exptl.
Biol. 25 : 371 (1987).
- Meiotic developmental features relevant to prophase specific
chromosomal characteristics in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
S.K. Sen, S. Das, A. Banerjee, N. Jasani, M. Shah & S. Ghosh.
In Trends in Chromosome Research, Springer-Verlag, pp.222(1988)
- Interaction of T.DNA border sequences and Ti-plasmid vir functions
of Agrobacterium results in differential single stranded
linear T-DNA molecule production and plant transformation S. Das,
D. Basu, P. Mukherjee & S.K. Sen. Ind. J. Exptl. Biol. 29
: 991-1001 (1991).
- Isolation and cloning of Bacillus thuringiensis var.
Kurstaki HD-73 toxin gene and construction of a chimeric gene
for expression in plants. D. Basu, S. Das, D. Banerjee & S.K.
Sen. Ind. J. Exptl. Biol. 29 : 1002-1009 (1991).
- Mechanism of DS1 excision from the genome of maize streak virus.
W.H. Shen, S. Das. B. Hohn. Mol. Gen. Genet. 233(3) : 388-394
- Monitoring functional property of the transgene through rapid
amplification of cDNA ends in indica rice transformants. D. Basu.
S. Das, P. Nayak and S.K. Sen. Current Science, Vol.68.No.11,
- Transfer of yellow stem borer resistance to indica rice cultivar.
, P. Nayak, D. Basu, S. Das, D. Ghosh, A. Nandi, A. Basu and S.K.
Sen. In Rice Genetics III (IRRI), 735- 736, (1996).
- Expression of crylA(c) gene of Bacillus thuringiensis
in transgenic chickpea plants inhibits development pod borer Heliothis
armigera larvae. S. Kar. D. Basu, S. Das, Ramakrishnan N.A.,
P. Mukherjee, P. Nayak and S.K. Sen. Transgen res 6,177-185 (1997).
- Transgenic elite indica rice plants expressing crylA(c) delta
endotoxin in Bacillus thuringiensis are resistant against
yellow stem borer (Scirpophaga incertulas). P. Nayak.
D. Basu, S. Das. A. Basu, D. Ghosh. Ramakrishnan, N.A., M. Ghosh
and S.K. Sen. Proc.. Natl. Acad.Sci. 94,2111-2116 (1997).
- High level expression of Soyabean trypsin inhibitor gene in
transgenic Tobacco plants failed to confer resistance against
damage caused by Helicoverpa armigera. A.K. Nandi, D.Basu,
S.Das, S.K.Sen, J. Biosc., 24(4), 445-452 (1999)
Phone: (+91)(-33) 335-0560, 351-0345 (R)